Thursday, April 7, 2011

new stream: P1 stream as a writing tool for thinking (about P3)

As I’m working with the Google Docs assignment (P3) for my students, I have to balance my expectations, anticipations and what I hope they’ll do with the natural human tendencies to avoid work and to do only the minimum amount of work so as not to affect the grade they want. I am curious to see if I can engage them enough to do all the (best practices) things they need to do to produce this last research paper. I’m working on the basic steps in class and assigning them homework to do and the Google Docs is designed to monitor with what they are engaging, if any thing… and a reiteration of the work, if you will. I read somewhere that in order to make a word part of your regular working vocabulary you must use it three times a day (in some way) for 3-5 weeks. I can’t find the exact numbers or the source but, I’m going to presume the concept is basically true. So, I’m adding in another use of these types of “writing process” composing practices exercises I put them through in class through the Google Docs assignment… while I add to their digital literacy through working time online with annotating, commentating, commenting and reflection.
This past week, we’ve worked on brainstorming techniques on lists of: topics, supporting and opposing points, and personal connections to their topics. Also we worked on various pre-writing brainstorming exercises to begin to discover and to think about ideas for the paper, and ways to organize the ideas, specifically mapping and outlining. We worked on collaboration in teams to brainstorm together to add to these lists. We worked on a class participation brainstorm session, modeling a brainstorming session of a general topic (free bottles of Dasani water on campus) and created lists together, writing them on the chalk board.

No comments:

Post a Comment