Saturday, April 9, 2011

Essay heuristic

In my research to define essay, I found that originally it was a method of thinking about a subject and if I connect to this great word, heuristic, I can see a method of using this blog to think about my research into essay, viewed through the lenses of “multi-literacies” and “online literacy” as a heuristic and comment upon that investigational journey. I would be really tweaking my work on the P3, so far – as I’m investigating how an online exercise would help my FYC students’ transformation of knowledge and transference of skills learned in my classroom, onto the pages of their research paper. How do I think about how whatever I discover might be interpreted towards my thinking about essay? Well, first I must document and interpret the information I get from my students’ work online. The idea is to use this stream as a thinking aloud tool from which I hope to learn.

I’m working with the discovery that my students’ process information from my showing them how to do things and then assigning them activities that exercise these things I’ve shown them - into their papers. Another discovery is in how they don’t process this same information when only told how to do the same things (they’ve already done at least once )- into their papers. I don’t know why they haven’t processed it. Is it that they don’t understand it? Or is it that they’ve chosen not to process the information into their papers? This exercise online will document what they have actually processed and then I can compare that to their papers and see if they’ve done the work. I have to find a better way to explain what I mean in this phrase: “process into their papers.”

No comments:

Post a Comment