Monday, February 14, 2011

3 hours and i'm starting to get some more...

Organization of one online medium looks the same in my mind as another. I suppose, with what you aren’t familiar with, it all looks the same. So far this semester, I look at these and familiarize myself somewhat and then next visit – I’m lost again. I’ve taken plenty of notes in a few places to help me remember what I’ve learned and where I’ve been to help me back and it will build from there. It didn’t help that last week I’d lost all my notes from this semester so far. They were in a notebook. Turns out it was mis-labled. I blame it on the Prey-Harrold move.
          I’ll elaborate in a commentary on an older technology. Last semester’s class with Bernie Miller (ENGL 503) was in a classroom in the Porter Building that had half-desks tilted at such an angle that without a hand holding it down, any book would slide off the desk. And they were only a half desk at that!  I like the double-page note-taking system in which I write note in a loose leaf binder. On the right I write lecture notes and on the left (which is actually a back- page), I write annotations to my notes and lecture and comments. I couldn’t manage the loose left binder on those tilted half-desks (only half the binder fit!) so I switched to a spiral notebook after two classes and flipped the notebook from front to back as the classes progressed, it was quite a headache.
So, I’ve got this (set-aside) loose leaf notebook (incorrectly) labeled 503 on the spine sitting in my “active” notebooks shelving area IN ERROR because I’m accessing the Rhetorical Theory in the Teaching of Writing for my PhD research and I left it out rather than filing it. (I’ve actually consulted a Master Archivist about my records management …my daughter-  hee hee.) Without noticing, I’d started my notes for ENGL 516 inside this notebook, usually sitting out (and open)  on its specific table study area and somehow slipped it onto the “active” notebooks shelving area at the front of my main desk. So when I looked for it- my eyes glanced over a notebook labeled 503 and thought it was just “out” to be easily accessed when I wanted to.  Ten days it took to go through everything “out” to find it- sadly I hadn’t needed to access Rhetoric in the meantime. You guessed it- now where is the real engl 503 notebook?  

BUILDING LINKS -->

                go to “accounts” to see other classmates’ P1 pages/media choices
Google acct:  billbarrstudent@gmail
                Access: “Documents”
                                And email FROM CLASS / DEREK
                                Gmail
                                Google Reader (to see “shared files)

Diigo acct: billbarrstudent
Delicious acct:     to be set up (I swear I set one up- can’t find it tho)          
(use for academic links- straddling TOW and PhD research – situating 516 w/in it)
BLOGS à
516: After sign in to google AS billbarrstudent- then sign in to:

2 comments:

  1. I have been slowly moving from physical archiving (binders, loose leaf paper notes, printed articles, etc.) to computer based versions. It has been a slow process and I often find myself resisting the most ridiculous elements of this process. However, I can see the benefit. I have one artifact out during class and am able to easily navigate between each of the various items we are looking at during class (my notes, the readings, past notes, etc.) I wonder, if it seems to much easier to navigate (and search-something to think about for your research?), why we are so (or I am at least) hesitant to make the switch? How do you think about the digitization of all the artifacts we deal with in our scholarship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am beginning to digitalize my search functions. But digitilizing all my artifacts is an impossibility in the near future, if ever. My books and my papers- just from this postgraduate study, I have a notebook and at least one textbook for each class! (38 classes) The notes in the margins of the books will be impossible to transfer until someone scans them all. Do I need them all? I'm carrying forward my study from one to the next. And all draw upon the ones that came before. In reality and in terms of the practical use, the inablity to search them efficiently has hindered their timely use. But I know what is there , should I ever really need the information. But I would like everything to be accessable through a search function. alas

    ReplyDelete